Family Law

See All Topics
What is paternity?
What is a Dissolution of Marriage? A Dissolution of Marriage is another term for divorce. When can I file for a Dissolution of Marriage in Missouri? Either you or your spouse must be a resident of Missouri for at least 90 days in order to file for a Dissolution of Marriage. It is not necessary for the parties to have physically separated in order to file for a Dissolution of Marriage. Do I have to allege misconduct on the part of my spouse in order to file for a Dissolution of Marriage?
What is Custody? There are two kinds of child custody: Legal custody, which means who makes important decisions for your children (like health care, education, and welfare), and
Can you change your name without going to court? Yes, a person can change their name through usage.  However, changing your name in this way is not recommended because there is no official record of the change.   What do I need to say in a Petition for Change of Name? Missouri requires you to include the following in a Petition for Change of Name: The person’s current name and new name desired The reason for the change
What is adoption? Adoption is the legal process which establishes a parent/child relationship between two people who are not otherwise biologically parent and child.  Who is involved in an adoption The parents who wish to adopt, the child or children who are to be adopted, and the birth parents of the child or children.  What is required to adopt a child or children?
What is Adoption?  
Requirements for a Valid Marriage  
This is a brochure developed by the Missouri Department of Social Services.  If you click on this link you will be leaving this website.  To return, simply press the blue back button on the upper left of your desktop. Paternity Brochure From Missouri DHSS  
Divorce   A divorce can take place if the marriage is irretrievably broken. The case is decided by a judge without a jury. In Missouri, either the husband or the wife must have lived in the state for 90 days before the divorce can be filed.
Representing Yourself In Court - OSCA If you click on this link you will be leaving this website. Also, you may view a brochure entitled, "Handling Your Case in Family Court" by clicking on the document below.