Did You or Anyone You Know Receive Unemployment Benefits in 2020?
As of April 2020, over 23 million Americans filed for unemployment, and one out of four Americans received unemployment this year. We need your help to reach these individuals and make sure they know that unemployment is taxable income. We do not want them to be caught off guard when filing their tax return next year!
We have included a flyer for you to share with your clients, employees and fellow outreach partners. This flyer can also be found on the IRS website as Publication 5444: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p5444.pdf. Other versions will be available soon on irs.gov.
We hope that you will:
- email the flyer to all of your e-mail contacts
- print and post the flyer in any high traffic areas you may have
- post the flyer to your website and
- share it to your social media outlets
It is our goal that, with your help, more people will know that:
Unemployment Income Is Taxable
- they can contact their state unemployment office to have taxes withheld from ongoing unemployment payments
- if they did not have taxes withheld from unemployment payments, there are ways to pay on those taxes before the year ends
- they can use the withholding calculator https://apps.irs.gov/app/tax-withholding-estimator, and determine what they may owe
- If you would, please let us know the potential reach of the efforts you make, it will help us measure the success of this campaign.
Please consider following the IRS Social Media accounts to receive and share the latest information that the IRS posts.
Posted at the request of: LaQuita Hall, CPA, MAcc, Senior Stakeholder Relationship Tax Consultant, Internal Revenue Service-SPEC